Easy to do Step by step instructions on how to train your pet chicken to do tricks. Watch our featured video: Chicken Training 101 (How to train chickens to do cool things). This video is really awesome! A must see! Before you decide to train a chicken be sure to select a healthy chicken. Chickens you raised yourself are often more responsive to training. Separate the chicken you want to train from your flock and develop a bond with that chicken by giving her or him lots of extra attention. Bonding with your bird will make them much more responsive to your training efforts. Patience, repetitive actions, and eliminating distractions, are essential keys for training chickens.
Chicken Training 101 (How to Train Chickens to Do Cool Things)
- Feed your chicken in a pet crate or place where you want them to end up after training.
- Introduce and teach them a cue that signals the beginning of tricks such as putting feed in a small cup and getting them to follow it. When they accomplish part of the task, reward them with a little nibble and keep going to the next part of the task. (Train often-daily if possible).
- Always work with only one chicken at a time. Once they know their tricks well and are consistent on their own, you can put other chickens you have trained with them.
- Remove the cue. Once you have trained your chicken to do a trick you can stop giving them the cue or reward until the task is completed. They know the routine by this time and know they will get their reward at the end of their trick.
- You can introduce more chickens you have trained and get them to do the tricks together.
- Show time! After you have successfully trained your chickens you can show them off to your friends, on the web, and at poultry shows. Be sure to video tape their progress and successful completion of training activities. See video below.