Dangers to Baby Chicks in Pine Shavings
Dangers to baby chicks in pine shavings
It is important that you do not use pine shaving during the first seven to ten days after hatching baby chicks. There skin is very tender and they may eat the pine shavings which can cut through their delicate tissues in their gullet and intestines. We actually had a baby chick who swallowed a piece of pine bedding. The small shaving cut a hole in the chicks gullet and was sticking out the side. We had to remove the shaving as it was getting infected. We applied triple antibiotic to the opening and the chick did survive. Had we not noticed the piece of bedding sticking out it's gullet the chick would have died from infection. Alternate safer bedding for chicks from hatch to 10 days old can be used. You can use shredded paper towels, material or other soft material like fleece. Any material that will not harden under the heat lamp and that is soft without chemicals will do.
Hidden Dangers for Baby Chicks Using Pine Bedding
Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Matt. 7:4